Wednesday, January 04, 2006

I AM YOUR GOD: pt.1

Genesis 17:1-8 (translated from the LXX by LKSpringer)
Now, Abram was ninety-nine years and the Lord appeared to Abram and he said to him, "I, I am your God. Be pleasing before my sight and become blameless and I will place my covenant between me and between you, and I will multiply you exceedingly." And Abram fell upon his face and God spoke to him saying, "And I, behold my covenant is with you and you will be father of a multitude of nations, and you will no longer be called by your name Abram, but your name will be Abraham, because as a father of many nations I have placed you, and I will increase you exceedingly exceedingly, and I will place you into a nation and a kingdom will come out of you, and I will cause my covenant to stand between me and between you, and between your seed after you, into their generations, into an eternal covenant to be your God, and your seed after you, and I will give to you and to your seed after you the land where you are living as a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an eternal possession, and I will be their God.
Preliminary outline:
  • v. 1-2 The Lord declares to 99-year old Abram the covenant, its responsibilities, and its benefits.
  • v. 3a Abram worships face down.
  • v. 3b-8 The Lord declares the covenant to Abram and his seed after him.
    • v. 3b-4a The Lord's covenant is with Abram.
    • v. 4b Abram will father many nations.
    • v. 5-8 Because of the covenant, Abram's ('exalted father') name is now Abraham ('father of a multitude')


Series
INITIAL THOUGHTS=======================

NOTE: This is a rumination ("1. The act of pondering; meditation. 2. The act or process of chewing cud." American Heritage Dictionary) in search of synergy ("1. The interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects.")

Tag(s):


Unless otherwise noted, “Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.” http://www.esv.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment